Sunday, July 13, 2014

Emotional Distress (food edition)

Being pregnant can sometimes feel like being on mood elevators, this also applies to the way food is perceived.  (selective taste-bud amplification?)

When you crave a food nothing tastes better.  And nothing is worse than having the food you crave in your reach only to see it tumble to the floor.  It is enough to make a grown woman openly weep.  To have been so close only to fall so far from the goal.  It's devastating... Until a replacement is made and eaten at which point... Oh man, I'm so sorry, I must have seemed like a crazy person just then.  Oh wow this food is good.  That is of course assuming anyone was there to observe this mini culinary soap opera.

My day had gotten to a rough start, arguably I was just too tired to even be attempting food preparations, but I was hungry.  So instead of napping while my son napped, I was in the kitchen heating up leftover taco in the microwave.  Beep! Food's done.  I pull out the plate, and it's not even like I have the excuse of it being hotter than I thought it would be.  Temperature-wise the plate is fine, I got to set it down on the counter and... miss.  Gravity takes effect and the plate of food does a half rotation before splatting horribly onto the floor.  The taco somehow managed to open itself up completely and landed shell up. The plate broke neatly into two pieces.

I cried.  I had not gotten hurt. I sobbed.  I didn't even care about the plate.  I openly wept.  The taco!  I hadn't fully realized how badly I had wanted to eat it until after it had become a greasy mess on the floor... The last taco... gone... un-salvageable... heartbreaking...

All this happened while my son napped.  Oblivious to the turmoil and drama just down the hall.  I thought to myself... "I need to stop crying so I can go buy more tacos!" but even with an incentive as strong as the tacos it was hard to calm down.  I started packing the diaper bag, and checking to make sure I had bus fare.  Just as I start to ponder how I feel about waking my son for the sake of tacos... I love when he sleeps... I need tacos... He woke up.

Soon we are on our way.  Though taco places exist both up hill and down, I was only thinking of the up hill tacos and the down hill bus had just passed while I was still a block and a half from the bus stop.  So up the hill.  Just as I near the cross walk to get to the bus... it passes... not even stopping to let off passengers... If all of this could have happened two minutes faster.  I would have made the bus.  Luckily the bus goes every twenty minutes or so.  So the wait only felt like an eternity to a stomach that was resenting not having had a taco fifteen minutes ago.

Finally we get to the place of tacos, and there is a line.  And my son is fussing.  But we finally manage to place our order.  (I ordered way more food than I was going to eat, but it was a to go order so they gave us bags.) I ate one taco there, offered some food to my son who snubbed it, and then packed it all up and went home.  Thus bringing the taco adventure to a close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment