Thursday, July 3, 2014

High Tech

My son is drawn to cellphones, laptops, the television, basically anything with a screen that lights up and makes sounds.  My husband and I have observed the curiosity and need for discovery that seems to be inately part of our son.  We just don't want him to make random phone calls.

As my son gets taller more of our home enters the area of his reach, and his ability to climb is rather impressive to me.  The dinning room table used to be as safe a place as you could hope for if you were looking for a place to set something down out of reach of our son.  Now the top edge of the table is within his reach. If we forget to push in our chairs when we are done he will climb on a dinning room chair and then climb onto the dinning room table.  The top of the table is so enticing to him that nothing I have said or done has yet to persuade him to cease his attempts to crawl on the table.

That said it has become more of a challenge to keep our cellphones away from our son.  On more than one occasion he has put his hand in my pocket to retrieve the forbidden device. And I can't decide if this is cute or annoying, maybe a little bit of both.

And though we try to be careful, my son not yet two years old has grabbed his father's cellphone, used it to take a picture, and then sent me the photo as a text (granted my number is the default for sending photos on my husbands phone) and while the photo itself wasn't anything worth mentioning, I was impressed with how quickly he did this.  It's not like we showed him how to use the phone.

The power of trial and error has tested my son's patience and probably increased it, as he is determined to make things do what he thinks they should do.  Though I'm still amused whenever he hands me something he's been working on, with a look in his eyes that says "make it work mommy" I can't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment