Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pickles

When I need pickles, there is no food or drink substitution that will satisfy my craving.  It is often said that pregnant women crave foods to fill nutritional gaps in there diets.  And it is suggested that water salt and electrolytes are the reason behind the need for pickles.  But if that's true wouldn't a sports drink do the trick?  Many claim to be filled with carbs and electrolytes!  However I would like to state the obvious, sports drinks are not pickles.

Speaking from experience I must say, not only do sports drinks fail as substitutes for pickles, but the stupid sports drinks don't even taste good to me while pregnant.

My advice, if you're pregnant, don't run out of pickles, you might not need them every day, but on the days you want them, you need them.  Because lets face it regardles of the cause* when you are pregnant you need what you need, and now.  And why you need it doesn't really feel like a question worth pondering when you have the more urgent question on hand.  That being: where is the food I crave? And can I have it now?

Personally I enjoy sweet pickles above all others, though I may be an anomaly when it comes to favorite type of pickle.  Most of my pregnant friends seem to be interested in gerkins, though one of my friends is not even the slightest bit picky about what type of pickle, as long as it's a pickle it wins.

Just follow your heightened sense of smell and it will lead you to the good stuff; while repelling you from the food that will make you sick.

*Suggested causes for food cravings include hormonal changes, temporary nutritional deficiencies and emotional needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment