Saturday, May 3, 2014

Bath time

Don't expect babies first bath to be a Hallmark moment.  Some kids take to water like a fish while others take to it like limb removal. I remember the first time I filled a baby sized bathtub with luke-warm water, and gently lay my son in the fabric sling.   The baby on the box was smiling.  My actual baby was writhing in apparent agony.  Needless to say his first encounter with water was a brief one.

As time moved forward my son's dislike of bath-time slowly diminished.  From tortured wailing to sullen acceptance, to tentative splashing and finally I got him playing and smiling in the water.  One of my son's favorite things to do in the tub is to fill a plastic cup with water and then pour the contents back into the water he's standing in.  Now he wants to get into the tub so he points to it and tries to climb in. (Fear not I'm right there to keep him safe.)

He still is not a fan of getting his hair wet but we are working on it.  One thing that helped him enjoy bath time more was when we experienced a heat wave and got a chance to play in the water as a way to cool off rather than as a way to get clean.  Giving him encouragement to play has made bath time easier on both of us.

Finding your way to bath time fun aside I would like to mention what I hope is obvious.  Never leave a baby or small child unattended when there is water involved.  The danger of drowning is quite real even in shallow water. Don't assume that you would hear it if something went wrong.  If a person's lungs fill with water they cannot cry out for help.

What if I want to take a shower with my baby? My baby isn't the only one who was in the splash zone when lunch came back up.

If you are thinking about taking a shower with your baby, just remember that babies are slippery when wet.  What ever you do, don't drop the baby.  If your shower permits it, maybe take a seat.  It's harder to fall when you are already on the ground.  

No comments:

Post a Comment