Friday, May 23, 2014

Hide and Seek

I didn't realize we were playing.   Now where is my shoe? (My son likes shoes, and cellphones.) The thing is when my son grabs an item and walks off with it.  It's like an involuntary game of hide and seek has been sprung on me.  Only instead of people hiding it's random items I wasn't expecting to walk off being randomly relocated.

It's hard enough keeping track of items when your sleep deprived brain keeps memories in a jumbled fuzzy lump that hides in the shadowy recesses of your mind.  To have some one go around randomly re-positioning your personal effects is just the rancid icing on the cake you apparently needed to color how you feel about the day.

Ok son, where did you put my left shoe?
(The right shoe is forlornly sitting on the shoe rack without it's mate.)

 Man we need to work on your communication skills kid.  When I ask a question I would like more than a cute smile and a squeek.  When I ask a question I want an answer.  Yet an answer is not forthcoming as my son is still on the journey to get from pre-verbal to verbal.

It's not like babies go from not being able to talk, to talking overnight.  Words come and go and come back again.  And really if you think about it I'm sure there are words you yourself have only recently become aware of.  (I know that's true for me.)  Language is a big thing, there is lots to learn and it takes time to gain even the most basic fluency.

And then once you reach the mile stone of your child being able to talk, there is still no guarantee that he or she will remember where they put your stuff.  And I don't care how neat you keep your home, if your child put something of yours in a little used drawer or box, a heavy amount of luck will be in order for you to locate your missing object.

Cellphones are the easiest thing to find when an unintentional round of hide and seek begins assuming that is that your phone hasn't run out of batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment