Thursday, April 17, 2014

Co-sleeping

I never intended to co-sleep.
In fact I thought co-sleeping was a bad idea.  (I still do though the reasoning has changed)
Before I had a baby I thought co-sleeping was a bad idea.  What if my husband rolled over and squashed the baby? What if I rolled over and squashed the baby?  What if the baby rolled into a pillow and was unable to roll back?

And then I had a baby.
I would feed him to sleep and then ever so gently place him in his bassinet.  At which point he would start screaming like he was being dismembered.  This went on for a week.  The only time the baby would be asleep was while I or his dad was holding him and in the all too normal two hour installments between feedings.  I was in desperate need of some real sleep.  And then one night it happened.  I nursed my son to sleep and drifted off myself.   When I awoke I realized that something amazing had happened! I had Slept!  And once I found the secret to getting to sleep at night in my own bed I went with it.  Even if it meant sharing my space with my son.

And now I can tell you why this is a stupid thing to be doing.
My baby will rollover and push me to the edge of the bed.  I had to put a pillow on my bed side table so as to stay mostly in bed and get some rest.
Other times my baby will manage to rotate 90° so I end up with a baby head in my armpit and my husband ends up with baby feet in his ribs.  Our baby has also rotated the other direction thus reversing who gets which end of the baby encroaching upon previously uncontested sleep space.

I bought a toddler bed for my son.  He likes to play on it... but he gets upset when I try to encourage him to sleep in it.  To him it's just a big toy bed, but he doesn't seem to buy into the notion that any bed I'm not personally sleeping in counts as a place to sleep.

So allow me to be your light house,  and shine a bright light on the rocks of co-sleeping.

Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake.  Save yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment