Friday, April 25, 2014

Pregnancy Cravings

Everyone is different but we are all human.  So differences will be there but on this note ladies have more in common with each other than one might want to admit.  For though I never wanted to eat the stereotypical pickles and ice-cream in one sitting, individually they were both things I required while pregnant.

Now for those of you who have never been pregnant let me explain the difference between a food craving you might have on your own vs. the food cravings of pregnancy.  And it is this:  if you are not pregnant it is possible to ignore or redirect a food craving.  You want one thing but you might settle for something else.  When pregnant you need a specific food and nothing short of having it will change your status.

Now when pregnant it is not uncommon to want foods you normally don't want.  I for example have little to no interest french toast.  However when I was pregnant I was relentless in it's pursuit.  I normally don't eat ice-cream, but when I was pregnant the mere thought of having to wait for ice-cream was enough to make me weep.

I remember one pregnant day I thought to myself:
"I want butter"
"But you can't have just butter, that doesn't make sense..."
"OK I'll have my butter on bread"
"Man why did I cut the bread so thick?"
"This is way too much bread for this butter"
and then I popped the last bite into my mouth
"Oh dear god in heaven! Why is there so much butter on my bread? Yuck!"

Pregnancy cravings, there one moment and then once filled gone in an instant.
And as inconvenient as it may be to deal with someone who is going through this, it is even harder to be the one experiencing it first hand.  So give pregnant ladies some slack,  they are building a whole person after all.  You're crazy if you don't think that this is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment