Sunday, April 20, 2014

Un-plugged

I've had some online friends ask about balancing staying connected to the virtual world and staying connected to a child.

Things on screens can feel urgent and how much time does it take to deal with one more message, one more video?

I think what it comes down to is keeping your priorities straight.  What is more important?  What's on the screen or your child?

Personally I love me my screen time.  However nothing on any screen will ever be more important to me than my son.  So I limit my time plugged in to time when my son is sleeping or being otherwise entertained by other family members.  Writing for the blog is a nap time activity.  And I've got to say it's pretty happy having a sleeping baby in my lap while I type. (though not as convenient as when I get him to sleep in his bed.)

As long as you're a parent, your child is not distracting  you from your down time online.  Rather the internet is trying to distract you from your child.

Does my son have a regular nap scheduled? Yes. Can it be thrown off? Sadly yes.  Truth be told the hardest days of the stay at home mom gig are the days when nap time is abbreviated or fails to happen.  Any number of things can wreck what would have otherwise been a perfectly good nap.  Which in turn removes the time where I could do such things as prepare food and mentally recharge by unwinding online.


Though some of our best days have zero screen time at all.  Taking my son out on play dates with other children his age has got to be my favorite thing to do with my proverbial mom hat on.

So how are you doing a daily blog if you have days that lack in screen time?

All right  here's my not so secret, secret (So shhhh don't tell you)... Sometimes I write more than one blog post in a day.  Knowing full well that there are days coming up where there will be time to hit the publish button and that's about it.

But hey as long as I can constantly get one post a day online; I'll call it a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment