Sunday, June 29, 2014

Fireworks

Ah thank you my excitable sports fans. Even when I'm getting my son ready for bed, I know when "our team" is winning / has won, due to the impromptu pyrotechnics that occur in the yards of the neighborhood sports fans.

My son had a passable time at last year's 4th of July.  Big lights and sounds in the sky, combine with a crowd full of happy people (chief in his concern, happy family members holding him). So though it was initially startling to him it wasn't too scary.

However the sound of fire works while daddy reads a bed time story were upsetting enough for my son (not yet two years old) to climb out of his bed and into mine.  And so I held and comforted him until the last of the fire works died away (A little after 10 pm).  After the noise and hugs stopped he was ready to go back to his bed, but it was a rough night.  He woke up a lot and seemed to need a little more reassurance that he wasn't alone than he's needed in a while.

Needless to say, I'm rather tired and somewhat miffed with our local sports fans.  Team spirit is fine!  But are fireworks in a residential area necessary for every win?  I mean not to be too much of a stick in the mud, but fire works are not even legal in my city.  And considering that we are in the middle of a drought, randomly lighting off illegal fireworks sounds like an impressive way to start random house fires.  Which would in turn cause more water to be used, as a fire needs to be put out.  (We are supposed to be conserving water.)

All I know about the fireworks going on is they are not happening on my block, but they do echo like crazy.  So while I can't pin down who is responsible for inconveniencing us with the boom of fireworks at night I can say this: I hate those stupid little fireworks, and the people who set them off.  And the only reason I would like the ironic fate of those jerks setting their own homes on fire is because the houses in this area are close enough together that if one house catches fire, it's not unreasonable to worry that the houses next to them might do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment