Saturday, June 28, 2014

Social

Becoming a parent is an incredible responsibility, but that does not mean you are obligated to hermit yourself away from your peers.  As long as your friends are cool with your child you are set; you don't even need a baby sitter.

Now though there is an issue of creating a presentable space while there are children under foot,  I would still recommend that the person with the youngest children host social events.  (As far as the space to get together is concerned.  Potlucks are cool and a way to take some pressure of sleep deprived parents.)  The reason for this is simple, the most baby proof place will be the safest space.  And I'm not just talking about for the children, (who's safety is all important) but also for the property of everyone involved.

Glass coffee tables and small children don't mix.  Nor do delicate chotchkies decorating a space.  I recommend keeping the kids in sight and out of trouble.  (Play pens or baby gates can be most helpful for containing children and toys.)  If appropriate a DVD could be set at low volume for the entertainment of the children while the grown ups talk.

Though I will stress that while it's cool to be having fun with your friends, stay accessible to your child.  You never know when they might realize they need you.  Or when you might realize that you need to intervene on their behalf to keep things safe and fun for everyone.

I'm not saying you need to micro manage your child but you definitely don't want your child to feel neglected.  The younger the child the more time they will need with a parent.  (Thank goodness for nap time.)  So only invite friends who will be cool with you giving your child the amount of attention he or she needs while spending time with others.

I've sat around the table many a time with my son in my lap.  So he could feel safe and I could stay in the conversation.  Good friends will on occasion play peek-a-boo with my son while still talking to me.  You don't have to be all one way or another.  As long as tones stay friendly kids will feel comfortable with your friends.  Don't push your child into being held or hugged by people your child is uninterested in or afraid of.  Children are people too and deserve to have their personal space respected.

The only people we knew before my son came into the picture that we no longer have an interest in spending time with are the extreme "No Kidders" who complained at length about children when there were none to be seen, and the people who don't feel compelled to respect our child's boundaries.  As a mom I have made the executive decision that only people who are capable of following my rules with regards to my children will be allowed to interact with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment