Monday, June 30, 2014

Different the 2nd time

I know everyone says every pregnancy is different.  But really, I guess some things just sink in better once you've experienced it.  As I am still in the first trimester I can only compare that much of pregnancy to what I experienced the first time around.  And I feel like the contrast gives better clarity not only to what I'm experiencing now, but to understanding what I went through before.

Nausea: the first time I got pregnant nausea and barfing went hand and hand.  This time nausea is a sail that pushes me away from foods that didn't smell bad even to my pregnancy heightened sense of smell.  It struck earlier into my pregnancy by about a week, but with it as my guide, this time around I have felt queasy at the thought of foods.  With this as my guide I have been far more picky about my food this time around and coincidentally have yet to throw up.

I'm still just as tired as I was the first time around so that's nothing new.  However finding better ways to deal with fatigue has become more important now that I'm looking out for more than just myself.  With a small child to care for, my naps can only happen when he naps.  Which never feels long enough.

So how do I find the energy to move forward now that caffeine is off limits?

Exercise!
But I thought you said you were tired.
I am.
Then how is expending energy when you are running on empty helpful?
Have you heard of "Second Gear"?

When you are tired it does not take nearly as long to make that uphill push into new energy.  I push my son in his stroller up a nice steep hill and by the time we are going down hill again I feel much better.  Granted it can be hard to convince yourself to get up and go, especially when your bed or couch beckon to you.  But trust me getting out there will help relieve some (sadly not all) of your pregnancy symptoms.

I would also note that another difference between this time around and last time is emotional.  The first time I was pregnant it felt like an emotional roller coaster.  Everything was high priority and important.  This time around, I have had my off moments and unexplainable tears but it's much less.

The smug part of myself would like to congratulate myself on heightened emotional maturity that getting this far has brought me... But the critical part of me simply raises an eyebrow and points out that every pregnancy is different and the hormone levels are probably just different this time than last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment