Monday, June 2, 2014

Words

Every child is different, some are quick to gain physical dexterity, some pick up on words faster than others.... you get the idea.

I was so happy when I first heard my son say "momomom" (he didn't really know where the word should end at first, like wise "dadadadada" came not long after. Yes, No, Dogdog, Milk? Well it sounds more like "mack" but he means milk.

Mostly my son will attempt to get what he wants rather than ask for it, or if it is just beyond his reach he will point to it and guess a sound that he hopes will get him what he wants.  Recently he realized that the dog he is most excited to see is name Coco.  So now he calls out "Cocooo!" not just when this litle dog is near by but occasionally just looking around the house for her.  (Coco is my mother's dog, so we see her often but not regularly).

It's interesting to see the toddler thought processes in action.  My son will knock on random doors in the house calling for who he wants to open the door for him.  (Even when he and I are the only ones home.) I don't have the heart to try to explain to him that doors are not like cellphones.   He understands that knocking is a thing you can do to get someone else to open a door for you.  But knocking does not make people appear who were not there to begin with,  You want to talk to some one who's not there, you'll want to use a cellphone.

I never know what word will become the new important one that my son gets excited about.  Typically though he will pick one word and repeat it until something happens.  Last night was an exception.  

We were out at a restaurant with the family.  My son had been more interested in playing with the food than actually eating it.  I was a bit annoyed.  When the check came to our table there was candy on it (enough for each person at the table to have one) my son reached for it.  I told him, "But Jonathan, you did not behave." to which he said "Yes I did!" I was so surprised I laughed.  Normally my son does not attempt to use more than one word at a time let alone stringing a sentence together.  It just goes to show, it's hard to gauge the extent of another's understanding, and children are full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment