Friday, June 6, 2014

Immunizations

Deadly and highly debilitating pathogens are out there! Some can be gained from touch, some are even airborne!

Do I have your attention? Good news!  You don't have to get sick!  Many of the heavy hitters in the world of contagions have preemptive cures that you and your loved ones can take to ward off these preventable diseases.  That's right I'm talking about vaccines.  You should get them and so should your children.(And, you know, anyone you don't want to see needlessly dead.)

It's important that every one be immunized to maximize the protection for infants who are too young to be fully immunized against all the preventable diseases we have vaccines for.  So follow your doctors immunization schedule.

Polio is not common these days, please don't be part of the reason it makes a comeback.  In my life I've only met one person who had contracted polio as a child, the most noticeable symptom was that her legs were not even close to being the same length.

I could go into gory detail about how awful all the other easily preventable diseases are but really I feel that I've made my point.  But just in case, stay with me I've got more!

Preventive health care is a fantastic thing.  I mean you don't brush your teeth everyday to try and get rid of cavities; you do it so that you will not get them to begin with.   Because getting cavities is painful and expensive to fix.  Where as remembering to brush and floss every day is not.

And on a more self centered note.  Don't you hate it when you are out in public and some jerk next to you is coughing out a lung?  Living in a world where not everyone can afford the luxury of taking time to stay home when they are sick rather than going out and infecting the rest of us does not stop at the common cold or the flue.  (By the way if you are pregnant you really should get your flue shot, it will help you and your baby not get sick.)

Now remember, I hate needles! I look away every time a nurse comes near me with one.  But I will still get every shot my doctor tells me to because I loathe with every fiber of my being, the feeling of being sick.  If I can avoid so much as a day of feeling absolutely disgusting, I'll take it! Poke away!

No comments:

Post a Comment