Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Grandparents

No I'm not talking about my grandparents or yours. I'm talking about your child's grandparents and my child's grandparents.

Depending on who you have to work with, they could be a gift from heaven or hell or anyplace in between.

So here is the check list to run past your parents and in-laws the more ticks they get the better.  Feel free to show them this post.

The Amazing Grandparents who are more than appreciated do the following:

  • Listen to the baby's parent(s)
  • Do what the parent(s) dictate with regards to their baby (my baby my rules)
  • Give the parent(s) the benefit of the doubt
  • Give advice when asked 
  • Respect the parent(s)
  • Respect the babies / children (people are people no matter how young they are)
Abhorrent Grandparents who might be at risk of never seeing their Grandchildren will:
  • Demand time with the children that is convenient for them
  • Do what they want with the kids
  • Ignore or willfully go against the parents wishes
  • Treat the child like a pet or toy
  • Criticize the parents 
  • Resort to name calling or other forms of belittlement of the parents, children or both
I myself have been presented with a mixed bag when it comes to my child's grandparents.  My mom is the favored baby sitter.  My dad is happy to visit but not interested in doing the diaper thing at this stage of his life. My father in-law is fairly calm but sadly incompetent and my mother-in-law is not allowed to be near our son unless his father is present.  

Four grandparents in my son's life.  Two of which are interested in babysitting. But only one of which is actually trusted to do the job.  Lets be honest here.  I am not interested in making my son spend time with people whom I would rather not spend time with.  I was asked if I would be willing to hold my tongue and allow my mother-in-law to have her fun with my son.  And my answer to that is NO! And I'm offended that anyone would even suggest that it is an idea worth considering.  I am the Mom!  And I will fight to my last breath to defend my son!

So to all the discontent grandparents in the world.  Work on improving the relationship you have with your child before looking to have a relationship with your child's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment