Sunday, June 1, 2014

SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)

My son was born 18 days before his due date; weighing in at 6lbs 1.2oz, and for the first five minutes of his life he required medical assistance to breath.  It was terrifying.  He and I spent his first week of life under observation and recovering for the most part in separate rooms.

When we finally made it home, I almost missed having the nurses around to help, (even the mean one who didn't like me) I realized it was now all on us.  While I was pregnant I had taken all sorts of baby/ pregnancy classes (something I highly recommend) and all sorts of baby dangers loomed in my mined.  Chief in my fears was SIDS.

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, sounds scary right? Like spontaneous combustion, seriously what on earth are you going to do to keep this from happening?   They said that SIDS was uncommon but more likely in premature babies.  I was still unclear if this was an actual medical condition or if it was some how a polite way of saying your baby died of gross negligence on your part.  I mean really, a lot of the tips to reduce the likelihood of SIDS seemed like stuff that you would want to do for your baby even without this scary death threat:


  • Babies younger than 6 months should sleep in the same room as their parents (not in your bed)
  • Breast feed
  • Always have baby sleep on their back
  • No smoking
  • Keep the room a comfortable temperature
  • No loose blankets or pillows in the bassinet/ crib
  • Let your baby use a pacifier when sleeping*


So with the fear that my baby would spontaneously stop breathing I placed his bassinet next to my bed and watched him sleep.  Seeing the rise and fall of his small belly was truly comforting.

*I think this is because it keeps space between your child's nose and whatever your baby might roll into and potentially suffocate on.  And to be frank, most of these tips sound like "don't suffocate your baby, and do not let your baby do anything that might cause suffocation.  Make sure your baby is able to breathe at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment