Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Reading

As a stay at home mom, my favorite thing to do when my son takes a nap, after taking a nap my self is reading a book to myself with out any pictures in it.  Don't get me wrong simple stories and bright colors can be great when trying to engage my son in story time.  But sometimes I just want to curl up with a book that's a little closer to my reading level.

It's like a mini escape from the routeen.  I don't speed read. I take my time with my books, hearing the words in my head.  It's relaxing.  It's all too easy to get swept up in all the baby and house hold tasks and forget to take the time to mentally recharge.  But really you are not doing anyone any favors by continuously putting off self care.  If you run yourself ragged trying to get everything done. you'll burn out.  And an irritable mom is not going to get optimal results out of anything.  And worse still your baby will sense that you are not happy.  Unhappiness decreases your innate mommy charisma and you may find a pint sized rebellion on your hands when you are least able to quell it with the grace and poise you might have when better rested.

So pick out a good read.  And keep it near where you might nap when your baby naps.  I find that I typically don't nap as long as my son, so I enjoy picking up a book and reading next to him while he sleeps.  It has the added benefit of making my presence obvious when my son wakes up, so he doesn't  feel the need to cry for me.

The rough bit is when my son wakes up and I am compelled to put my book down mid-sentence.  Going back to all the mommy tasks that are done with an awake baby.  All the while my current novel calls to me; begging me to come back and read on.

I love a good book.  Many a night in high school I would take a flashlight to bed and read myself to sleep.  When I was younger than that I would always ask my mother to read me one more chapter, even if she was coming to the end of the "one more chapter" I had previously requested.

Now the bedtime story tradition continues with my husband reading out loud every night before bed.  I think it's something my son takes comfort in.  And I'll admit to enjoying it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment