Saturday, June 7, 2014

GMO

In a world where the majority of prepackaged foods contain soy, and in a country that feels no need to label genetically modified food, determining what is safe to eat is not as simple as reading the label on the box.

Through the scary process of trial and error I have discovered what soy containing products are safe to eat and which ones send me to the medicine cabinet looking for something to help me breathe normally again.

And for the most part I felt like I had discovered which brands were on my side* and which ones had joined the forces of darkness. Think I'm being melodramatic? (Isn't that what you love about me?) Seriously, think again. What exactly do you call injecting pesticides into the DNA of our crops? (Don't you dare say "a shrewd business practice".) Putting poison into crops and then labeling them as food goes way beyond unethical, and should be illegal.

Is it really so much to ask, that when I go to the grocery store to buy food that it not be laced with poison? I don't feel like I ask for much. All I want is for my food to not be detrimental to my health and overall well being.

Really it feels like a short sighted business practice to go off and make your customers sick. I'm not going to give you my money if you try to kill me! Because damn it I want to live!

But here I am, acting as royal food taster for my son to better ensure his safety. Not because my one and a half year old son has made dangerous enemies, but because GMOs are not currently labeled in America. So I take one for the team, and if I have an allergic reaction to the "food" I don't share it with my son.

Do you live in America and want this problem to be a thing of the past? Write to your local congressperson and tell them you want GMOs to be labeled or banned. (Which ever you think is the better solution)

*Though recently I was betrayed by a brand I had grown to trust, they changed their ingredients and I noticed not by looking at the label (that hadn't changed) but by having an allergic reaction.  They should really have to say something when they switch from soy to GMO soy.

No comments:

Post a Comment